A 2007 study claimed that women absorb an average of 5 pounds of beauty or make-up chemicals per year through their skin and mouths. One class of cosmetic chemicals which could be dangerous are parabens. Traces of parabens have been found in breast tumor samples.While paraben-free cosmetics are becoming more commonplace these days, another ingredient of concern, manmade nanoparticles, can be found in a variety of skin care products that can be absorbed deep into the skin. In a recent study, 20 young women between the ages of 14 and 19 were tested and found to have an average of 13 hormone-altering cosmetic chemicals in their bloodstream. Studies link these chemicals to potential health effects including cancer and hormone disruption. (www.ewg.org)
Environmental Working Group study of teenage girls found cancer causing chemicals from cosmetics in every blood and urine sample tested with more than 16 chemicals from 4 major groups-phthalates, triclosan, parabens and musks that were identified in the girls - plus ones linked to hormone disruption.!!! Get all natural, organic skin care solutions at www.savingfacescentsably.com
More to come for this page
- work in progress
Some Myths on Cosmetic Safety- from EWG 2012 More than 500 products sold in the U.S. contain ingredients banned in cosmetics in Japan, Canada or the European Union (EWG 2007b).
- Nearly 100 products contain ingredients considered unsafe by the International Fragrance Association (EWG 2007c).
- A wide range of nanomaterials whose safety is in question may be common in personal care products (EWG 2006).
- 22% of all personal care products may be contaminated with the cancer-causing impurity 1,4-dioxane, including many children’s products (EWG 2007d, CDC 2009).
- 60% of sunscreens contain the potential hormone disruptor oxybenzone that readily penetrates the skin and contaminates the bodies of 97% of Americans (EWG 2010, Calafat et al 2008).
- 61% of tested lipstick brands contain residues of lead (CSC 2007)
Women are at greater risk! Surveys show that on average:
* women use 12 products containing 168 ingredients every day,
* men use 6 products with 85 ingredients (EWG 2004), and
* children are exposed to an average of 61 ingredients daily (EWG 2007a).
* The industry-funded CIR safety panel incorrectly assumes that consumers are exposed to just one chemical at a time and personal care products are the only source of exposure (EWG 2004).
Young Living offers the world's highest standards in Essential Oils along with unique, chemical-free (no parabens, no SLS etc.) Face Creams, Masques & more....Many of the essential oils are FDA GRAS approved- meaning that they are generally regarded as safe as food. You'll Love these Skin Care products! They are all eco-friendly, real go-green products - they are so safe and clean we can eat most of them!!
Saving Face Book
Dr. DeVita's book on 'The Scents-Able Way to Wrinkle-Free Skin' outlines many ways to use essetnial oils directly for your skin care.